Tuesday 17 May 2011

Monday 16 May

Intake day!  A very small group this week, just 7 but the Thai guy had a terrible journey to school - for some reason he thought he needed to go via central London, rather than walk 10 minutes down the road, so he arrived an hour and a half late.  He was so apologetic, couldn't believe what he'd done.

School is bursting apart at the seams with so many students and they've put up two sheds in the garden as extra classrooms.  At the directors' meeting a couple of months ago, we were told to expect 'log cabins' - now I can see why they're salesmen but they really shouldn't try and deceive teachers whose whole time is spent analysing language.  The sheds are quite dark so there were workmen outside all morning cutting down one of the trees.  I thought at first they were just lopping off the lower branches to make it lighter but no, they went the whole hog.  There were some robins going crazy in between the chainsaw noise, which was a little distressing.  They should have kept the tree because those rooms are going to be boiling hot once the sun's on them and it would have given some badly-needed shade.

Emma had said she might drop in, so my Beloved Him Indoors spent the morning cleaning!  Hooray!  Then he cooked dinner! Hooray! (with plenty extra in case Emma wanted to stay for dinner).  Just before we were going to eat, he checked his mobile and there was a text timed at 2.00pm saying she couldn't come after all.  Shame, we were looking forward to seeing her but, look on the bright side - the house is clean and tidy and dinner was lovely!  Hooray!

Watched a detective programme called 'Vera' set in Northumberland starring Brenda Blethyn.  Saw the first episode last week, persevered this week and I think it's growing on me.  I even expressed  a wish to MBHI that I'd like to go up there for a visit sometime, not least because my father was a Geordie but as an only child didn't take us up there once his mother died.  I'm not sure I ever met her as she died when I was about 3 and we were living in the Far East.  Need to check with mother and see if she remembers.

No comments:

Post a Comment