Monday 4 July 2011

Sunday 3 July

Our appointment with the beekeepers at the allotments was at 11.30am so we made sure we knew where were going and how to get there.  There was a very discreet entrance, in fact so discreet that you wouldn't know it was there, no sign just a single driveway between 2 houses.  The beekeepers were already smoking out bees, some with veils others wearing just shorts and T-shirts.  Unfortunately, it quickly become obvious to us that our garden isn't suitable.  It's a shame as it's such a fascinating hobby.

One of the beekeepers told us he had a winery at the allotments, 20 yards away, and offered to show it to us.  We tasted his red wine - amazingly good!  There are 7 vineyards on this allotment who have got together with 'premises' and equipment and have a great time doing it.  So we decided to wander around and spoke to a few allotment holders.  We were extremely impressed - there's a clubhouse, running water, electricity and you don't have to grow vegetables or flowers, you can use the ground as a leisure area which some people have done with tables, chairs, barbecues, ponds.   After talking to the manager, I've put my name down for an allotment!   I've always said that I'd like a dog and an allotment so with a 2-5 year waiting list, the timing might be about right.

Last year my beloved and I participated in the UK Biobank, undergoing a series of tests which took about 4 hours in total.  Today I received an email asking what I'd eaten yesterday, down to the last peanut (no, I didn't actually eat any peanuts but I did have an ice cream).  Apparently this information will improve the health of future generations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment