Wednesday 6 July 2011

Tuesday 5 July

We're bursting at the seams a school with over 600 students this week.  We're double shifting, with 5 minutes between classes and have also rented extra premises at adult education centres in Penge and Crystal Palace.

To add to the mix, we had 22 student teachers from British universities come for the whole day today for teacher training before they fly out to China on Friday.  It was my job to run them through principles and methodologies for teaching young learners and also show them the material they'd be using.  It was fun but hard work.  I had them singing 'Baa baa black sheep', using a screwed up piece of paper as a ball to throw to each other, sitting on the floor listening to me telling them a story, jumping up and saying numbers in sequence - all sorts of good educational stuff.   Some of their comments made me slightly uneasy though: one thought for the topic of 'celebration' that making a wedding card (colouring and cutting out clothes for the bride and groom to stick to a card) wasn't a right celebratory occasion and preferred a 'christmas' card.  I asked her to think about religion in China but she didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with her suggestion.

The allotment people emailed me to say that I'm now on the waiting list and gave the password to see the list online.  They reckon that 15 people get allotments each year - I'm No 77 so that means 5 years!  I should be ready by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment