Sunday 19 June 2011

Saturday 18 June

A friend from 20 years ago has tracked me down on Facebook.  We were good friends in Nigeria and spent lots of time together so it's good to catch up after losing touch for so long.  I know a number of people who are adamant that Facebook is evil and will steal your soul, but as far as I can tell, the person posting is in control of what they publish, so the advice has to be: 'don't post anything that could come back and haunt you'.  Personally, I like being contacted by old friends.
 It's Father's Day tomorrow and people are posting photos of their fathers.   My Dad died in 1978 so none of my photos are digital.  I wonder if I can manage to scan one?

A reply has come from the Advertising Standards Agency re Asia Pulp and Paper's advert calling large parts of Indonesia 'wasteland'.  This is a company that's been called 'one of the most destructive companies on the planet''  but unfortunately, they won't take any action against APP.

"While I appreciate your point, we have to consider how consumers in general are likely to interpret an ad.  In this case, while we note that there have been recent investigations into the business practices of APP, we consider that viewers are likely to interpret this ad as highlighting APP’s hopes and aspirations for their business rather than any direct claims relating to any culpability, or lack thereof, in creating these ‘wastelands’.  On this basis, we consider that the ad is unlikely to mislead consumers to their detriment, in breach of our Code, and will not be taking any further action on this occasion."

No comments:

Post a Comment