Monday 7 February 2011

I like Mondays.  It's intake day and I get to meet all the new students - well, not just meet them but spend the whole morning with them.  I test them, give them information, we do a quiz together and then they spend time speaking, while I stay out of it so as to not inhibit them.  There were 26 today with ages between 18 and 61 from Europe, South America and Asia. A really nice group who got on well.

I did exam marking when I got home - not my favourite task and then this evening watched the radio 2 Folk Awards on the BBC red button.  It was good: I don't think I listen to enough music.  I'd heard of some of them like Bellowhead but some were new like the 3 young lads who won the newcomers award.  They thanked their mums and dads for driving them around.  An oldie who should never had been invited to sing was Donovan.  He received a lifetime achievement award which he accepted with an exceptionally long rambling speech and then proceeded to horrify everyone with 2 songs that I didn't like 40 years ago.   The Levellers won an award too.  I liked them but still think the folk link is a bit too tenuous even if they do call themselves 'green anarchists influenced by traditional music'

No comments:

Post a Comment